Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Recovery of Identity

Frye's point regarding the loss and regaining of identity and its connection with literature was definitely a thought provoking concept. The idea that "... literature not only leads us toward the regaining of identity, but it also separates this state from its opposite, the world we don't like and want to get away from." Pg31 This immediately made me think of what allows people to stray from the aspects of the world that they dislike. I soon realized that there are very few outlets other than literature that allow a person to detach themselves from what they dislike about the world they live in, leaving me in concurrence with Frye.

4 comments:

  1. This line also got me thinking. It pretty much explains poets and authors and their drive and desire to write and create stories. It is their escape, something I did not fully understand before reading this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I had never thought about how literature can take you to an alternate reality or "detach us from the world we prefer not to be involved with" (pg. 31) before reading the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with this. It's really interesting to consider literature as an escape from our earthly issues. Getting completely involved in a novel or a poem is like getting lost in a different world, and if you're lucky enough, you picked a world that you'll enjoy living in for the time being. And, unlike real life, you always have the option of putting it down; leaving that world.

    I just really like this quote!

    - Celisse

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...