Saturday, September 11, 2010

Distinguishing Literature from Life

" literature hasn't yet become distinguished from other aspects of life: its still embedded in religion, magic, and social ceremonies" pg. 19

I felt profoundly about this quote due to the fact that it allowed me to think about all the different things that literature is part of. Frye asks in the beginning "What difference does the study of literature make in our social or political or religious attitude?" this allowed me to think about how literature is part of stories, religion etc. and without it there would be something missing in our lives and since literature hasn't been distinguished from all the aspects of life , I don't think it will ever be due to it connecting many events or things that we believe in or that are part of our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Ania, I agree with what you wrote here. I also think that literature wouldn't be literature if it was distinguished from all other topics in life, because these topics are the essence of literature- without these things what would authors and poets write about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Ania. Interesting comment as well, Steph.

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...