Monday, September 13, 2010

The View of Frye

Northrop Frye has a very refreshing view on literature that I haven't ever thought of. He points out that stories in general has similar structure (beginning/ending, roles, etc.) and makes you think of literature in a different light. It is explained that Literature has never really evolved, its been the same for ages and the only aspects that change are the small things such as characters, settings, style. I think stories don't change because it is the reflection of our morals and emotions, people can't just develop new ranges of emotions so that's why stories will frequently touch upon similar subjects. It came as a surprise that stories many years had so many similarities with the stories that we read nowadays.

2 comments:

  1. I too found Frye's view of literature very intriguing. Before I read that quotation I had never noticed that most movies and books are relatively the same just have a certain small twist. I concur that after reading this quote, literature is seen in a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found Mr. Frye's view inlighting. I had noticed that all books, and movies are the same in a way. This is from my parents making fun of the favourite movies. They were able to call every twist and the plot. I was stunned! Then they happily explained to me in simpilar words what Mr. Frye has said.

    Herc

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...