Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Assignment #2

"There is no direct address in literature: it isn't what you say but how it's said that's important there. The literary writer isn't giving information, either about a subject or about his state of mind: he's trying to let something take on its own form, whether it's a poem or novel or whatever." (p.24)

I agree with Frye's statement and relate to it. It is what comes from the writers thoughts that make literature. I found it fascinating reading how Frye relates to many famous novels in chapter 2. Especially with books that I can also relate to. Frye's understanding of literature is astounding, he explains the fundamentals it takes to write good literature and helps me benefit from his knowledge, leaving me with a better understanding of the history of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...