Saturday, September 11, 2010

An Educated Imagination

The sentence in Chapter two that I felt was most profound is "... your imagination couldn't operate on such a world except in terms of the world you know." (p.18) Logically, it makes sense. How can one imagine something they know nothing about?

If you were to ask a child who knows zilch about Art History to draw a picture of Vincent Van Gogh, you would be considered highly unreasonable for the exact reasons listed above. That's why I thought this quotation was insightful; it states the obvious and how one can only know as much as the information they have absorbed.

4 comments:

  1. I like the quote you chose and the point you made. The last sentence reminded me of McCullough's speech where he says that we should read as much as we can in order to know so that made me think about the more you know the more you can think about other things allowing your imagination to come up with creative things that we may want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and I like the analogy you made with the Van Gogh. However, I believe when someone is new to a topic, they can bring a new perspective that someone who is more experienced may have never thought of. I believe imagination is not limited to what you know, but rather open to whatever you like, whatever you want and allows you to create whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Kris... i strongly agree with you, and i really liked the analogy you made; I felt like i could relate even more with the quote you choose.
    I also believe our imagination is based on our beliefs and our likes and is endless
    rather we have knowledge about the topic or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with everyone this quote was a good one. Your imagination is like a field with no fences to cage it in, you can go wherever and imagine about whatever you like with nothign stopping you but yourself

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...