Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thought is the Seed of Action

“On weekends when his high school pals were attending “keggers” and trying to sneak into Georgetown bars, McCandless would wander the seedier quarters of Washington, chatting with prostitutes and homeless people, buying them meals, earnestly suggesting ways they might improve their lives.”

I was overwhelmed with tears after reading this. It is so inspirational to hear that a young man not only opened his wallet but his heart for another without wanting anything in return. Originally, I had planned on helping others once I graduated and had a comfortable income, but after reading this I was in a sense appalled with my selfishness. Today, I have a roof over my head, an education, food, and security, so why am I waiting to take action another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...