Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gandhi, An Autobiography


“We knew the fundamental differences between us. Any amount of discussion could not efface them. Yet even differences prove helpful, where there are tolerance, charity and truth. I liked Mr. and Mrs. Walton’s humility, perseverance and devotion to work, and we met very frequently.” (page 159)

Gandhi knew that the most important part of any religion was and yet is ‘self-realization’. Having been put in light towards his religion in South Africa, Gandhi thanked the Christians who ‘whetted’ his appetite for knowledge. He came across Mr. and Mrs. Walton who were different and who him feel like a member of his family.

I thought this was another important quote in the book as I agree to Gandhi’s crucial point of acceptance for other people’s culture, traditions and identity. The line, “we knew the fundamental differences” became a highlight for me as it relates very well to me as I was told to know other people’s differences in religion which is very crucial to respect at all times. The quote I thought implied that in order for Gandhi’s movement to be successful in India, he must have opened up to acknowledge and accept other interpretations. It further meant that in doing so there could have been potential peace relations amongst different communities in India for Gandhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...