Monday, November 29, 2010

“S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out of here. I am all alone, this is NO JOKE. In the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless. August?”

This note was found by a group of hunters just outside of an abandoned bus that Chris was camping at. The hunters were overwhelmed by the note and the smell coming from the inside of the bus, and it was only examined when a man by the name of Samel came along. Inside the bus, was the partly decomposed body of Chris McCandless. The body was later taken to the Anchorage where an autopsy was performed, revealing that starvation was the probability of his death. The irony in this is that before he set off for his journey he donated all his savings to OXFAM America, a charity dedicated to fighting hunger.

His desperate plea, previously quoted, had deeply moved me especially considering that his dream to live and create a new life for him became the cause of his death. I think that at this point he knew that this idealistic dream to live in the wild would be the cause of his death and regretted it. One piece of evidence that led me to this conclusion is that when he set off on this excursion he took on a new identification. Throughout his expedition, he refused to respond to his former name Christopher McCandless, and took on the name Alexander Supertramp. For the first time in this note he refers to himself as Chris McCandless, which I interpret as his revelation of who he truly was and a sense of regret from his attempt to escape his identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...