Tuesday, November 30, 2010

In the ZONE!

“Both playing in the zone and chocking are examples of phenomena that psychologists refer to as altered states of consciousness (ASC). Any time you experience an … if you have had either of these experiences you are caopable of learning to use self- hypnosis to gain greater control over your concentration and performance.” (Page 18)

In this passage the author relates to the audience and tells the audience that if you have played in the zone or choked under pressure it can happen to you again. The author relates to the reader so they see how they can improve their athletic performance and prevent choking in a game. He presents a solution so his reader can stay in the mindset in order to succeed and be in the zone. The author tells the reader that you can make playing
I have chosen this quotation because when I read it the first thing that came to my mind was everything I read in the prior part of the chapter. This demonstrates how the author’s use of summary as a writing technique is important since it worked to help me take away major points from the chapter. Also, any points that were unclear while I was reading the chapter were clarified in the summary. This method of summarizing helps the reader keep the major arguments of the book in their mind. In addition, because I am an athlete, the summaries allowed me to recall the times when I have experienced playing in the zone or also choking in a game. Thus, the chapter summary passages helped me to retain the main arguments of the text and also apply the theory to my own life to improve my athletic performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...