Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Life of Pi: Brutality

"I stabbed him repeatedly. His blood soothed my chapped hands. His heart was a struggle - all those tubes that connected it. I managed to get it out. It tasted delicious, far better than turtle. I ate his liver. I cut off great pieces of his flesh. He was such an evil man. Worse still, he met evil in me - selfishness, anger, ruthlessness. I must live with that. Solitude began. I turned to God. I survived."

This quote really caught me off guard. I was surprised by the transformation of a young vegetarian boy that was so committed to religion into a monster. Pi's original good nature was so quickly lost to an ease of cannibalism and this really made me think of how much an event can change a person. “It is simple and brutal: a person can get used to anything, even to killing" I did not expect this book to be so gruesome and have parts of cannibalism and murder from the knowledge that I had of the book prior to reading it. This passage really shows the brutality of humanity how people can change so easily with necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...